2009年1月24日星期六

Why ES2007S

Being a foreign student whose first language is not English, I realized that before I join the working force, it is necessary for me to study the art of professional communication as the language used in the job market is English.

In my opinion, although every company has its own culture, yet the style of communication and words used while working are generally different from what we use in school. Therefore it would be beneficial if I know how to communicate properly before I start work. Written communication and oral communication are both very important. For example, to make an announcement, which words should I use and in which way should I make the announcement? Besides written and oral communication, the non verbal way of conveying a message such as body language and facial expression, requires special attention too. For example, when talking to my superior, is there any gesture that should be avoided?

However, before I can apply professional communication, I need get myself employed. Given today’s economic situation, the competition for getting a job seems to be tougher than before. Therefore, hopefully by the end of this semester, after attending ES2007S, I will be able to equip myself with effective communication skills and write a resume which is essential in the competitive working environment.

6 条评论:

  1. Hi, i share the same sentiments about effective communication as well as the job market situation. Hopefully after this module,all of us will be equip with the effective communication skills to memsmerised our prospective employers.

    回复删除
  2. Hi lovely Lu,

    It was really good that you expressed your views in different aspects of effective communication, especially in terms of written and oral communication. While i had focused much on verbal communication in my post, i had almost forgotten about the importance of written communication - thanks for the reminder !

    回复删除
  3. Hey, feng lu indeed mention an important about about written communication and also about writing resume! I think I would recommend more friends to take up this module so as to better prepare themselves for the tough times ahead!

    回复删除
  4. Hey Lovely Lu,

    Interesting insights into the reasons behind you taking the module. Glad to say that I share a number of those reasons, thus let's work hard together such that we can pick up all these skills from Christine!

    回复删除
  5. Hi Feng Lu,
    I definitely agree with you that getting a job in this competitive society, made worse by the recent economic recession, is no easy task. However, you can also apply the professional communication skills even though you have not get the job. What do i mean by that? In this case, i was referring to the application of the verbal skills during your various job interviews. Of course, the written skills pertaining to resume goes hand in hand with that as mentioned by you. All the best in getting your preferred job!
    Cheers!

    回复删除
  6. Hi Feng lu,

    I felt that there is a huge difference in language between English and Mandarin. Note only is the vocabulary different, the syntax and sentence structure used is also different. There are times which I must recite mentally what the chinese from Hong Kong and mainland China is saying before I get the point that is being made. For example, "small look" in Mandarin means underestimate.

    The differences between the mainland Chinese and the local population could sometimes be seen in groupwork and also laboratory settings where they are reluctant to communicate with people who do not have profiency in Mandarin. I hope that you would communicate with the non Mandarin-speaking community better after your course in both the written and the oral forms.

    回复删除